Wednesday, October 3, 2012

UnJunk Your Life!



Hello everyone! Today I am going to be giving you guys an UNREAL review on a candy product that just recently came out. So a few weeks ago I received my Bzz Kit in the mail containing a couple of coupons for the brand Unreal Candy. Before being asked to be a part of the campaign I had never heard of this brand but the idea of having a candy that was “unjunked,” meaning it had no artificials, no corn syrup, and no hydrogenated oils seemed like a really interesting thing to try. After viewing the website I was really surprised to find out that the idea of this “unjunked” candy was brought to light by a 13 year old boy and his family. To read the story click here.  The website is actually really informative so if you are curious about anything have a look! Moving along this is going to be my review on four of the five products that have been released.

Unreal 8
This candy bar is compared to a Snickers bar and contains: chocolate, caramel, peanuts, and nougat
To be honest this bar was not memorable at all. It tasted VERY bland and nothing like a Snickers bar.
For Nutritional Facts/ Comparisons click here

Unreal 54
Described as  "Candy coated chocolates with peanuts," this chocolate is compared to Peanut M&Ms
As you can see on the right image, I actually was eating some M&M's as I opened the Unreal Brand. I decided to put those in the image to show the comparison of colors. The Unreal brand has very opaque and bland colors which I did not find appealing until I found out they used natural ingredients instead of dyes (see HERE) . The chocolate tasted like dark chocolate more than milk chocolate (I like both so I didn't mind) which may not suit some peoples preference  Overall these were OKAY. For Nutritional Facts/ Comparisons click here

Unreal 41
These candy coated chocolates are comparable to M&M's and although I like M&M brand better this is something I may purchase again. There is a stronger taste of chocolate in these than the M&Ms but they also have a bitter taste to them. For Nutritional Facts/ Comparisons click here

Unreal 77
This Peanut Butter Cup is compared to that of Reese's but by far it is the one that tastes the least like its competitor. It wasn't necessarily bad but for some reason it left me with a taste of COFFEE rather than chocolate and peanut butter! Very strange.. For Nutritional Facts/ Comparisons click here 

Pros
   
Cons
Uses natural ingredients
Has more fiber, peanuts, protein, etc. than the leading candy products
Less Sugar than leading products
Dyes are not used for colors
Very Innovative Idea
Junk (corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, GMO’s, preservatives, and artificials are not used
Packaging is really fun and unique
Price (similar to leading brands)






L The names are a bit confusing and BORING. The candy is labeled as numbers which I have yet to know the purpose of.
L Taste (the BIGGIE!) Sadly I was not a huge fan of any of the products when it came to taste
L Availability in stores. It took me forever to find the brand in stores. I went to CVS but all I ever saw was big packages rather than these individual sizes. Finally picked some up at Michael's craft store**Many more stores are said to be carrying the brand by the end of October


**Overall these aren't the candies I plan on picking up when I go to the grocery store**

No comments:

Post a Comment